Taiwan | Part 4

22:42


Busy, bustling Kaohsiung is the second largest city in Taiwan after Taipei City.

A harbour city known for its industrialisation, it is also home to the best and freshest seafood in Taiwan.


Our morning was spent at E-Da Theme Park, one of Kaohsiung's main attractions. It's the only Greek Aegean Sea styled theme park in Taiwan.


So much Percy Jackson feels...

The park's divided into three major regions: Acropolis, Mountain City and Trojan Castle. 

Their rides look like they could pack some real punch but unfortunately, I was down with gastric flu that day, so I gave them a miss. After all, it wouldn't be nice to go on a particularly thrilling ride, and end up emptying my stomach contents all over the poor park-goers milling around below the rides. 


That was quite a legit-looking Trojan Horse. 


There was even a mini Santorini. I love the serene blue-white colour scheme of the place. 


My personal photoshoot time! 

Honestly, my discomfort was bothering so much that day I wasn't exactly in the mood for smiling in photos. I gave up after a few tries of smiling grimacing at the camera.


Their indoor rides were milder, with a mini indoor roller coaster, bumper cars, performances, and arcade-like games. At least I went on the mini roller coaster, so I suppose I could say I tried something within the park.


What's a proper visit without a mandatory tourist trip down to Kaohsiung's most famous night market - Liu He Night Market?


Street food stores galore!


To be honest, I didn't find the prices here exactly wallet-friendly. 


Our tour guide recommended us to try the fresh seafood here but gastric flu = no more live catches from the sea for hungry poor me. Boohoo. :(


This was another recommended roadside noodle stall. 


Liu He Night Market has a famous papaya milkshake stall frequented by celebrities and politicians. It's located right at the end of the street, and long queues are a common sight there. (Damn I waited for so long, holding onto my drink in front of the stall just so the queues would clear for a tiny while for me to take this perfect photo.)

A definite thumbs-up goes to the stall. Their papaya milkshake is fantastic! After sneaking a few gulps, my straw and cup were confiscated by my parents. (Nuh-uh, why are you having lactose-laden drinks when you have abdominal discomfort?)


This particular couple-run stall sells some real decent fried paus. It's literally pan-fried xiaolongbaos, with crisp skins and tender pork fillings. The aunty was real nice in allowing me to snap pics (yeah, I loved their food so much I promised her I'll feature her stall in my various forms of social media.)


We went on to try another version of steamed xiaolongbaos from a different stall and it was lacklustre. Thick skin, scant juice. Meh. The juice dribbled out pathetically, like pee from a neurogenic bladder after a spinal cord injury

Aside from a select few recommended stalls, I think it would be fair to say that the food at this particular night market isn't as impressionable as Shih Lin's or Feng Jia's. It's literally a tourist trap, where items are sold at inflated prices (to rip off the tourists from Mainland China, who swarm the area).



You Might Also Like

0 comments