Taiwan | Part 7

23:21


With most of Taiwan's places of interest covered in the past few days, we were only left with Taipei 101 and Ximending, the two other more notable attractions in Taipei, on our itinerary. 


I don't normally post images from the dozens of buffets that I've eaten at throughout the holiday but Shangri La's breakfast could be one of the exceptions. 

Let's take a moment to appreciate the gorgeous Hollandaise sauce coating the poached egg perched atop an English muffin. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that their live egg-preparation station offers Eggs Benny as an option! Now that was an extremely fulfilling breakfast. 


Taipei 101 was once the world's tallest building. Standing at the foot of such an imposing building made me feel extremely miniature. 


Dining on the 85th floor of Taipei 101 at Shinyeh Restaurant, with such a wonderful view of the entire city of Taipei, was a cool experience. I felt grossly underdressed (and slop) in such an atas restaurant, with my snapback, vest, denim shorts and high tops. Oops. If I had known that I'd be heading here, I might have considered changing my ootd. 



The appetiser was a mix of tender free-range chicken brined with house herbs, a nicely seared baby abalone, and tasty salt and pepper oyster mushroom. 


Traditional double-boiled chicken and pork soup with carrots and radishes. The pork cubes were braised for so long that the meat literally fell off the bone. Mmmmm...


Braised pork tendon in rich brown sauce. It was juicy, soft and flavourful, but the fattiness is real. So sinful. 


Steamed cod fish fillet, tofu and pickled mustard greens. I loved the freshness of the cod but I was deceived by the huge white slab. It turned out that half of the cuboid was tofu. Ah well. 

There were a few other dishes under that 7-course meal menu but they weren't that photogenic, so I'll just leave it at that. Taste-wise, the restaurant's chefs definitely did impress. 


I took some photos at the iconic artworks outside Taipei 101. 


One out of the multiple "LOVE" sculptures around the world by artist Robert Indiana. 


After a filling lunch, it was time for more food and shopping! Off we go to Ximending, the pedestrian shopping haven with a plethora of fashion shops, food stalls, restaurants, and bars!


Finally I've had a chance to taste the highly raved about Ah Zong Mee Sua. Yes, it was rich, thick, and full of ingredients. The thin mee sua was so smooth, the bowl of piping hot goodness was so fragrant, the pork intestines so chewy I would gladly queue under the hot sun for another bowl of this amazing creation. 


Another notable recommendation at Ximending would be their Mango shaved ice. Behold! The monstrous mountain of shaved ice, heaped with chunks of fresh, ripe and wondrously juicy mangoes, drizzled with thick mango juice and topped off with a scoop of mango ice cream. That's what I call a perfect dessert on a hot summer day! 

While the clothes and shoes there are unbelievably gorgeous (and so hipsterish that I feel like sweeping everything off their racks/shelves), shopping at Ximending isn't exactly as cheap as I would have expected it to be. I did manage to get some pretty decent lacy Oxford shoes from there. Clothes-wise, I suppose Taiwanese girls are all rather small-framed and skinny, so their dresses are indecently short for me. :( So not appropriate for clinicals. Oh the woes of a slightly-taller-than-average-not-so-petite girl. 

Besides clothes, shoes and food, Taiwan sells really cheap contact and cosmetic lenses. I managed to get mine at only around SGD10 per pair. 

As with all good things, the trip must come to an end...


Taiwan, you will be missed. :')

You Might Also Like

0 comments