Kombi Rocks

21:14

Buzzing with retro vibes, walking into Kombi Rocks was akin to time-travelling back to the 60s, with walls decorated by vintage posters paying tribute to The Beatles and cabinets stocked with limited edition memorabilia.


The towering Hulk standing guard at the restaurant's entrance and the spiderman figurine dangling from the ceiling added a unique twist to Kombi Rock's interior decoration. 


As it was a weekday night, the restaurant was rather empty and we managed to have most of the place to ourselves. Service was swift and the staff was friendly too. 


The turquoise Vespa parked at the side of the restaurant is incredibly photogenic. I would have camwhored there and then if not for the fact that I was so shagged I probably looked like a cameo from Train to Busan, what with my humongous dark circles. 

Upon flipping open the menu, we were taken by surprise at the Asian-styled dishes. I was half-expecting generic cafe food like pasta or Eggs Benedict but instead, their dishes were Teochew-Thai inspired. 


We ordered the Sambal Beef Fried Rice ($9), Koon Kee Mee Goreng ($7), Thai Curry Chicken, Pappadum + Rice ($12), and Loaded Cheese Fries with Thai Basil Minced Pork ($12). 

A unique fusion of Thai and Western flavours, the Loaded Cheese Fries with Thai Basil Minced Pork totally nailed it. It was definitely the best dish of the night! The thick crispy fries with warm pillowy insides are doused with glorious melted cheese, and sprinkled with a flavourful topping of basil minced pork. I can willingly give up my diet anytime for this heavenly cheese-loaded appetiser. I guess it really puts the "loaded" in its title. 

The rest of the mains just did not leave much of an impression on me. Though the fried rice had well-separated grains and chunks of minced beef mixed in, it was slightly too bland for my liking, with barely a hint of the sambal flavour. 

As for the mee goreng, it was pretty similar to the average mee goreng you can find in a hawker centre, aside from the fact that it was a tad too greasy that day. 

The Thai Curry Chicken reminded me of Nakhon's Green Curry, and I had quite appreciated the earthy blend of spices in the gravy. I ended up pouring heaps of curry over my fried rice to spice up the flavour. 

With a pleasant ambience, efficient service, mostly decent food and an affordable budget per pax of around $20, I would probably visit again soon (for their oh-so-sinful cheesy fries). 


66 Yio Chu Kang Road, Singapore 545568

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. After looking into a handful of the blog articles on your site, I really like your technique of writing a blog. I book marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking back in the near future. Take a look at my website as well and let me know your opinion.
    Best Accountants Melbourne
    Accountants Melbourne
    Melbourne Accountants

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is extremely helpful info!! Very good work. It is very interesting to learn and easy to understood. Thank you for giving information. Please let us know and more information get post to link.

    Java Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete